Working on the rudder and removing the top of the rudder shaft and cutting off the rudder blade

This video shows the fun I had removing the rudder parts from the boat. Cutting the top part off above the rudder tube and then I was able to lower the top section down on to the inside of the boat and then I cut through the rudder shaft just below the rudder tube. When I cut through the shaft I was able to remove the rudder blade out of the rudder shoe and found the fitting wa well worn and will need to be machined up to have a new lower rudder bearing fitted. Once I have got all the parts back to the workshop I will have chance to make a different way of fitting the rudder together so it can be removed in fewer parts and without taking a grinder/cutter to the rudder to remove the rudder from the boat.


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A year to remember and also forget.

Chance Autumn update

It is now 6 months since I become the owner of Chance.