Rudder removal or not has the case might be, not defeated by rusted joints


Today I when down to Chance to see if I could remove the rudder without doing any cutting or digging to remove the rudder out of the boat. I first undid the bolt which I thought was holding the upper part of the rudder shaft in place. The only thing that happened was the rudder and shaft moved up and down inside the rudder shaft and did not come apart as I would have hoped. So I have left the pressure on the quadrant over night to see if it will come apart without using heat on the joint at the base of the quadrant. If this does not work then it will have to be cut out in section and a new rudder assembly made up at a later date. However, the new rudder assembly will be made up in a different way so that the whole assembly can be dismantled in sections and not have to be taken out in one piece. Also the rudder tube will have bearing made up to fit at the top and bottom sections and also a bearing in the rudder shoe so that the rudder can turn easily under pressure from sailing or under motor.


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A year to remember and also forget.

Chance Autumn update

It is now 6 months since I become the owner of Chance.